Monday, September 24, 2018

Facebook

I’ve nearly given up Facebook.  I might repost things occasionally, or share photos when we’ve done something (more as a record for me for the future), and I have a couple of groups that I administer; but I’m rarely updating my status and I’m not really interested in posting updates on my life. 

Am I missing it?  Sometimes; but since coming off I’ve realised that most of the 500+ ‘friends’ I have on there aren’t actually my friends at all - just people I know. 

My real friends contact me in other ways. WhatsApp, Messenger and text (it’s rare that the phone rings - in fact I can’t remember the last time it did).

The friends I really miss are the ones I’ll never hear from again; Martin, Jon and Liz. 

Martin took his own life over 20 years ago.  He’d have loved Facebook and the internet, I wish he’d seen it, if it had existed then I honestly think he’d still be alive today. 

Jon took his own life 2 years ago. He was a good friend and I loved popping over to see him for a cuppa and a gossip. He didn’t do Facebook. 

Liz died nearly two years ago (cancer), she was my best friend and I miss her more than I expected. We didn’t need Facebook, we spoke most days and saw each other every couple of days. 

I miss my parents too, but we expect to lose them. It’s different with friends, i didn’t expect to lose three friends before I was 45. 




No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...