Saturday, October 04, 2008

England, a civilised country - maybe not.


High Speed
Originally uploaded by birdinanaviary.

I listened in complete amazement to the Today Programme on Radio 4 this morning.

It seems that a 17 year old sadly decided to jump to his death from a car park in Derby - not usually very news worthy (sad though it is).

But what marked this event out was the attitude and actions of a group of 'spectators' - it seems that during the 3 hours that Shaun Dykes was on the roof a crowd gathered and were actually shouting at him to 'jump'.

As if that wasn't enough, when he finally listened to their 'encouragement', they FILMED IT ON THEIR MOBILE PHONES - including his body on the ground.

Have we really descended to the point where we are so eager to see someone die - to actually encourage it, and to see it as entertainment.

I'm saddened, astounded and deeply concerned about the morality and general mental health of some sections of English society (and I should point out that some of the 'onlookers' where middle aged - people who haven't been brought up on a diet of violent television and computer games - not that I would necessarily blame them anyway).

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...