I should know better than to expect a university and the local council to actually be competent - but I guess I will continue to go on hoping!
Yesterday I got a letter at home addressed to 'The present occupiers' of my address; it was from Sheffield City Council and basically asked me to confirm my voting details - warning that if I failed to do so I could be fined £1000. If nothing needed changing they requested that I register by internet on www.canvassmatters.com/Sheffield or freephone 0808 909 8068 (24 hours).
They specifically ask that you only return the form if there is a mistake or any changes, thus saving the council money - excellent, since after all it's my council tax that pays for this.
Well, it would be excellent if the website OR the telephone number actually worked!! It seems that the entire population of Sheffield will have to send them in after all - at a cost of how many thousands of pounds?
Also, in the post was a letter offering me a place on the MA in digital imaging and photography at Lincoln University, with a form to confirm that I want the place and that I will pay for it. So far so good.....
On the letter it said; The course fees are as follows: £224 per 12 CATS point unit or £279 per 15 CATS point unit.
But nowhere did it say what CATS points are, or how many units I will have to do, but it did say that the information is on their website......
Where the search for a post-graduate course doesn't find the course at all! But when you do find it the costs are given as; £279 per 15 credits - and I think I need 180 credits for an MA - no mention of CATS at all
So I phoned the fees department to confirm this.....but the woman didn't seem sure, she just said that she thought because I would be doing it part-time it would be about £1115 a year and that I could pay in 5 installments!
I guess that I should be used to this kind of thing, but to be honest it still amazes me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Coming to America
We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive! We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...
-
I should know better than to expect a university and the local council to actually be competent - but I guess I will continue to go on hopin...
-
The street piano - soon to be moving on... Originally uploaded by Merrony's Moll . Today I was reminded of the Street Piano on Sharro...
-
There are two things that I’ve always believed in; that we should have an “opt-out” system for organ donation (eg. everyone should automatic...
12 comments:
The website is working this evening.
Haha! I discovered that about half an hour ago!
Well I suppose you have to give them credit for sorting it eventually !
hugo said
09/09/08 1920pm the website is not working.some one wants there ass kicking at the council.
Hi, I googled the sheffield electoral thingy and it came up with your blog!
Speaking of books... have you registered on readitswapit.co.uk ? It's brilliant for swapping books you don't want to keep and you het one you want for the price of postage. I recommend it.
Bye nice to bump into you MaureenHB
grrrrrrrrr I too have been frustrated by the lack off a working website and also the phone which unfortunately does not allow for English speaking people ..press 1 it said so I did and grrr
I do wish I'd taken languages at school so I could understand the answer machine
oh well guess what I posted it
let them earn their money
from
A frustrated yorkshire lass
I have just had the same experience as your good self. Threatening letter, freephone not working and website leading to your page. Collapse of frustrated woman into teeth gnashing fury!!! I suppose the powers that be are too busy investing our council tax in failing Icelandic banks to bother checking that their contact details are correct.
Heavens! I blogged this a year ago, and the website is doing it again! I didn't even bother trying to do it online, just sent the bloody form back instead.
Yes, one year on and I searched for the electoral register website- only to arrive at your blog!!
Having read some comments from last year I may wait and try agsain before bothering to post it.
Great blog by the way!
just tried to regisunday evening and guess what it's not working again. wish I had read comments before I threw the return envelope in the rubbish bin
wouldn't be so bad if wasn't third website i'd tried today with the same degree of success.
Well I almost preferred ironing to wasting all flipping day searching for this missing link...ME
Post a Comment