Sunday, August 16, 2015

No friend of mine

I don't watch the news or read newspapers often, I get much of my news from Facebook and BBC Radio, and one recent news item has been upsetting and disgusting me in equal measure - the fate of the poor migrants trying to get to safety from their war torn or starving countries to Europe and the UK.

They'll try anything to get to what they believe is a better life, but in not so sure it will be if some of the comments and posts I've seen from English people is anything to go by.

Over 4000 are now sheltering in 'The Jungle', a camp just outside the port at Calais - a came that was never intended to hold more than 1000.  They arrive hungry and tired with nothing but the clothes they're wearing (often not suitable for the European weather).

The UK media, and our government seem intent on portraying these people as savages or criminals intent on coming over to take 'our' jobs, and 'our' benefits.

Thankfully none of my friends feel like this - or at least that's what I thought.

Yesterday I reposted a petition on Facebook calling for the government to do more to help the migrants, and many of my friends commented, shared or liked the post.  And then a young lad I met in Thailand (although he's originally from West Yorkshire) commented.

His comments upset and astounded me, how could anyone really wish such violence on other humans?  

Needless to say my lovely friends put hominem his place, and he changed his original post to be less violent.

I'm posting screen grabs of his comments here so you can see - I've also unfriended him. 

His original post
His edited post after he'd been shamed by myself and my friends.

And a final comment before I unfriended him.

What a nasty piece of work - I'm glad I found out and unfriended him.  

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...