Immigration and migration is big news at the moment, mainly spurred on (in my cynical opinion) by the current government's (wankers) and media anti-EU stance (we are due to have a referendum next year on whether to stay in the EU).
Scaremongering news stories tell of 'swarms' (our Prime Minister's word) of migrants trying to get in via the channel tunnel, breaking into lorries coming over, and desperate to come to the UK to steal our jobs and live off our benefits. Of course this is bollocks.
Many of those who are trying to get to the UK actually would be given asylum if they got here (they're fleeing fighting in Syria), or are just trying to get away from certain death in wars in their own country that they have nothing to do with (often started or funded by countries in the west!).
A make shift camp has grown around the port at Calais, known by the inhabitants as 'The Jungle'. It's unofficial so many of the 'shelters' are built from pallets and tarpaulins, plastic sheeting or whatever people can find, many people sleep in the open. It was originally supposed to house about 1000 people, but current estimates put the number at over 4000.
Now, regardless of your politics, or their reasons for being there, or your thoughts on immigration; winter is coming - and these people have nothing. They're lucky to be alive (having faced horrific journeys by sea or land), and only have the clothing they are wearing.
No matter what you think of the politics, these people need help if they are to survive the coming winter. Across the UK Facebook is being used to rally people to collect supplies and drive them over to The Jungle.
I joined the main UK FB page, but also the Sheffield based one. We have a 4x4 going this coming weekend, and then other trips are planned in the coming months. I'd like to go, but I really can't afford the petrol or ferry crossing at the moment.
So I'm helping to collect supplies for the trips. We've arranged a drop off and storage site in the old Woolworth store on The Moor in town. Olly and I staffed the point on Saturday and although we didn't get masses of stuff, I was totally blown away by the generosity of some people.
A woman came in with three bags of brand new men's boots and shoes, she'd been into a discount shoe shop and bought them! A man rocked up in his car with loads of men's clothing, and then a woman appeared with three carrier bags full of stuff from Poundland - plasters, tea, deodorant, notepads, pens, razors, toothpaste, painkillers, wooden spoons, toothbrushes, playing cards....she'd spent £43!! (The receipt was in the bags too).
I'm so impressed with the generosity of strangers.
Although I don't think I'll have time to go next weekend to help with collection, they are collecting again. I've emailed many of my friends, and put it on Facebook - which might not be popular with some people I know, but I don't care. These people need compassion and help not victimisation and persecution.
This video was made a while ago, but it's worth a look to get an idea of the conditions people are living in - imagine being there in December?!
Http://www.theguardian.com/UK-news/video/2015/jul/27/Calais-migrants-jungle-camp-video

No comments:
Post a Comment