Thursday, January 30, 2014

As usual

I've found in life that something often comes along just at the right moment, just when I need it, and that stressing blocks that.

So, although I've been worried about not having a job, I've not been stressing about it (although the fact that I still have a little savings to pay the bills has helped with that!).

In the last week I've got a job, and as seems to be the way these days it wasn't through applying, more due to knowing the right people!

Sophie (who I met when I did my post grad) emailed to say that she'd given my details to an academic in the info school who was looking for a part time research assistant.

I emailed him on the Thursday, met him on Friday and started work on Monday!  It's not perfect, 15 hours a week and just casual (no contract), but it's for four months and I can work from home if I like (although I'm saving heating costs by working in the department as they've given me a desk and the chance of gettin more work from othe academics is better if they see me about!).

It's a bit strange as he just gave me a spreadsheet and told me to get on with it!!  I'm researching 'smart cities', basically looking for evidence of The Internet of Things and digital connectedness for 11 cities across the world.

It's interesting but I have to take regular breaks as staring at the computer screen for hours gives me a headache.

About the same time as getting this job I got invited for an interview for a job that I'd forgotten I'd applied for!

I really wasn't sure that the pay was enough, especially since it was based in Leeds, but the organisation was interesting and a job is a job!

As it turned out it wasn't right for me in anyway - firstly, although they advertised the wage as £17,500 to £19,000 - when they phoned to tell me that I hadn't got the job they told me they couldn't afford me at £19,000 (which I'd have had to get to justify the travel) - so why advertise at that rate!???!

The job was essentially as PA to their regional director, and about 10 minutes into the interview I (and they) realised that I was over qualified and over experienced for the post!!

When they phoned the next day to tell me I didn't get the job, I was pleased and not at all surprised.  What did annoy me was that she admitted that they got someone a lot cheaper than me who had used the system they use before - then why the hell did they waste my time and money interviewing me?

Anyway, I now have another interview - for a job I really would like, I just have to convince them that I can do it (I can, but I've got got the relevant qualifications - but I spoke to the manager and he said he wasn't bothered by that).

It's as an information officer for a local charity (well, Barnsley actually).  I'd be working on a new records/information system, and training staff on how to use it.

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...