Friday, November 29, 2013

Hutong Market



My second to last day and the weather has warmed up again, and the wind eased off - so I decide on a little explore of the Hutong just south of Tiān’ānmén Square; down Dazhalan Jie.

I’d explored this area before but knew there’d be more to see if I went a hit further than the touristy areas - so I just kept walking until I was just amongst locals!

It was worth it, I found a market! Amazing piles of fruit and veg, and no one minded me taking photos at all, in fact one guy was happy to pose with his satsumas!!


Most of the photos are on my SLR, but I did take a few on my phone in the meat section due to low light (sorry Jill, Kate and Jen).


To be honest the meat section is actually the most interesting, mainly as nothing goes to waste (unlike in western society where we have a habit of feeding dead animals back to animals - or have we stopped that? I hope so).

Many of the cuts I really couldn’t identify.  The fish were interesting too - plastic tubs crammed full of live fish that customers choose by grabbing the ones they want (with they’re hands), and chucking them in a carrier bag!

The whole place was fascinating, although the strong sunlight and deep shadows made photography a challenge.

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...