Painkillers are wonderful things but they can also be a bit of a nightmare - they make you forget that you've got an injury, so you do something and it bloody hurts again!
On Saturday I played in a co-ed scrimmage and had the most fun I've had playing roller derby for some time.
I'd been losing the derby love for a while, not that I didn't love skating, more that I'd lost my mojo and was fed up with the drain it was having on my time and the general cattiness of a load of women together!
So I signed up for the co-ed as it was something different. I was scared, some of the boys are big and play tough, but I'm a roller girl and I knew I could take the hits - and I did, and they were hard hits.
We played for an hour and a half, but 10 minutes before the end I took a hit and landed on the point of my left shoulder and skidded along the floor.
It hurt but I went back on - once, then deciding I'd obviously done something serious.
I waited until Sunday morning to go to A&E (not braving it on a Saturday night!!) but didn't get much sleep.
Thankfully nothing is broken, but I have torn all the ligaments in my shoulder and misaligned my collar bone - ouch!!
No skating (or at least no contact) for 6-8 weeks and although I've got to keep my shoulder moving (so it doesn't freeze up), I also have to be careful - leaning on it or moving it in certain directions bloody hurts.
My first proper derby injury and I don't even have a bruise, I do have a sling for when its tired or really aches, but it's bloody annoying and gets in the way!!

No comments:
Post a Comment