Tuesday, July 02, 2013

£5 million well spent?

It's sad and heartbreaking that Madeleine McCann is still missing, and it may be that she's never found - I genuinely do feel great sadness for her family - but (and you knew there would be a but).

How many people go missing each year and after an initial bit of media attention (if they are lucky), get forgotten by the press, the pubic and often the police?

It might seem wrong (and I'm sure I've voiced this opinion before), but I can't help but question the need to spend £5 million on a 2 year review looking for one person.

If Madeleine had been a black teenager, or a middle aged man, or an older woman, would so much money be thrown at the case?  I seriously doubt it.

So because she's a little blonde girl (or was, she'd be 10 years old now), and her parents have the money and wherewithal to employ a publicist, money that could be spent search for numerous other people - I'm not saying give up looking for Madeleine, but perhaps it's time to be more realistic about the chances of finding her (and the money spent attempting to do so).

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...