Thursday, November 29, 2012

New York City bound

4am isn't a time I often see, except on the landing between my bedroom and bathroom, but my taxi was booked for 4.45am, and I still needed to have a shower.

The only people at Sheffield station were others getting the train to Manchester airport, and everyone looked like they'd just got up.

Jon had said terminal 2, so off we went along numerous travelling walkways and corridors only to find that we needed to be back at terminal 3.

At least when we got there we had time for a cooked breakfast.

We caught the 9.20 flight to Amsterdam, and an hour transfer meant we had just enough time for a cup of tea and a look in the shop - why don't they do these slippers in adult sizes??


So, they let me in to America, although I had to have my fingerprints taken and photo snapped.

The yellow cab ride wasn't cheap from Newark airport $80 including toll for the Holland Tunnel and a 45 minute drive over to Manhattan - so exciting!


The Jane Hotel is right next to the expressway and the Hudson River, on a little cobbled street. With a foyer out of an Agatha Christie novel and bellhops in uniform. It was the hotel that the Titanic survivors stayed in when they got to New York.


I can't tell you how small the room is, about the size of my bathroom at home, and it has two (bunk) beds. In order to open my suitcase I have to take it into the hall, and Jon and I can't ally be in the room at the same time unless I'm sat up on the top bunk.


So my watch says that it's 11.15pm, and I'm sat in the bar with a Hendricks gin and tonic, but in New York time it's only 6.15pm - my body clock is going to be very confused. But since the nob is broken I'll be leaving my watch on UK time and relying on my iPod for US time.

A little wander around the neighbourhood before bed, although I don't want to go to bed too early or I'll be up at the crack of dawn.


No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...