Now before I start this rant I have to state that I'm a big fan of the public transport in Sheffield. We have a good bus service and although they don't really go anywhere I want to go the teams are pretty good too. We are also lucky to be a mainline station so getting out if the city is relatively easy.
However the main bus company in the city are money grabbing bastards (just my opinion but I stand by it).
The journey from near my house into town is about 2.5 miles - not far. If I get a First bus the cost is £2.10 each way (no return tickets available) - and I can't get a student ticket as it's not a 'student route'!?! But if it's term time I can get a £100 term bus ticket - but this is only during term time so not during the summer even though as a postgrad I'm still a student!
But if I get a Stagecoach bus I can get a student ticket for 60p each way! But Stagecoach buses are not as regular, and don't run as late in the evening as the First buses.
Recently Cat and I got on a First bus, and I asked for a child ticket for her (save myself some money), but despite the fact that child tickets are for anyone under 16 (which she is) they wouldn't sell me one as she didn't have a South Yorkshire student card - she lives in West Yorkshire. So it cost me £2.10 despite the fact that he admitted that he could see that she was obviously eligible for a child fare!
I would walk but the weather has been disgusting the last week or so - monsoon rain most of the time!

No comments:
Post a Comment