Thursday, April 12, 2012

What is your dream job and why

This is so hard to answer! I'm in my late 30s and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

I've been so many things: shop assistant, waitress, bar manager, secretary, marketing assistant, database manager, fundraiser, telesales executive, archaeologist, fund advisor, project officer, project co-ordinator, online tutor, trainer, presenter, photographer, and I'm sure others I've forgotten!

It's not that I'm no good at these things (although some have been more successful than others), it's more that I get bored easily, I always have done.

The best jobs for me are either short term contracts (where I don't have the chance to get bored, like the project manager roles), or the jobs that are so varied that they keep me interested for long periods - things like the fund manager/project officer job I had with English Heritage.

So, my dream job is hard to pin down. I guess it doesn't really exist, but there are a few things that it would have to have.

Variety
Autonomy
Flexibility
Ability to work from home

Money isn't that important, as long as I have enough to pay the bills and enough that I don't feel that I'm being exploited.



No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...