Thursday, April 12, 2012

The hardest thing I've ever experienced

I hope not all of my posts in this series will be depressing, but this one is likely to be so I intend to keep it short.

The hardest thing I've ever experienced has to be the slow distressing death of my Mum.

For the last couple of weeks of her life she was completely bedridden and in pain despite being out of her head on morphine, she slept most of the time thankfully but when she didn't it was a living hell (for her and us).

I won't go into detail, those who were there don't need reminding, those who weren't really don't need to know.

Suffice to say, if someone you care about is terminally ill (or Bob forbid you are), get them to go into a hospice where their pain can be managed, their bedsores dealt with before they appear, their needs looked after by trained, experienced staff, and where you can 'be' with your loved one instead of 'nursing' them - losing someone is hard enough, don't make it even harder for all concerned.

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...