Generally
I like people, you know those that I meet on a day to day level I usually like
until proved otherwise, and since most people I see are only fleetingly in my
life I often don't get to find out of they are arseholes, so that's fine.
But on
occasion I've had the misfortune to meet someone who really just rubs me up the
wrong way, but who I actually have to spend time with. It's really only happened twice, and
thankfully one of the people I don't actually have to see anymore (although I
do hear about her now and again).
However, the second is someone I currently have to interact with.
With both
I'm sure they had/have no idea of my feelings, and I've made an effort (I
think) not to let them know. It's my
problem after all.
The thing
is, why I dislike these people. They
aren't bad people, and have done nothing to me personally (to my knowledge,
although I've had suspicions), but they are successful (or at least make it
appear that they are), and I know that some of this success is down to the fact
that they will do anything to get what they want.
The
constant bragging about achievements is mind numbingly boring, and only serves
to annoy others. The constant telling
people where they are going wrong, or how to do stuff that they are already
doing fine is downright rude.
Maybe
it's that sucking up to others to get what they want really annoys me, or with
one of them the blatant flirting with those in power - or maybe it's my
annoyance with myself that I won't (or can't) do either of these things just to
get what I want.
I know
that there are those who believe that I got a first in my degree because I was
living with one of the lecturers, but actually I worked bloody hard for that
degree (and Colin didn't mark a single thing of mine after we got together -
that would have been unethical). Sucking
up to lecturers or those in authority might get you where you want to be, but
I'd rather earn my achievements.
I need to
try not to allow people like this to get to me so much, if I let them they have
the potential to stop me from doing what I love. But of course it's easy to
say, not so easy to do - but I'm trying.
No comments:
Post a Comment