It is said that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I still can't understand the need for American tv and film producers to remake foreign language programmes and films?
There can be only a couple of explanations; either the population of the US is, on average, so stupid that they either can't read subtitles, or they can't contemplate a world outside the USA or, producers 'think' the population are stupid and couldn't cope with subtitles or something outside their own country - either way it's a sad state of affairs.
I recently saw, and very much enjoyed the highly successful Swedish film, 'Let the right one in', already an excellent film, but now remade as 'Let me in' (which I haven't seen but understand to be good - but was it necessary to move the story to New Mexico?).
Then of course there are the amazing film adaptations of the Stieg Larsson books, 'The girl with the dragon tattoo', 'The girl who played with fire', and 'the girl who kicked the hornets nest' - all to be remade in the US starring Daniel Craig! Why do they feel the need to do this?
The latest is a Danish 20 part thriller series that John and I have been watching on BBC4 iplayer, The Killing. Fantastic plotting and storyline, with brilliant acting by the Danish cast (poster above) - but will never be seen in the US as it's already been remade for the American speaking world (poster below).
It's no wonder that many Americans have little understanding of the rest of the world - they aren't given the chance to see it!
Postscript: if anyone fancies knitting me a jumper like the one in the top photo I'd really appreciate it! - although I suspect they will be the next 'must have' winter clothing item!


No comments:
Post a Comment