Friday, January 07, 2011

Pudding

flaming christmas pudding
I had to share this, it was such a sweet gesture - even if it was totally useless.

When I was in the project on Christmas evening a rather middle class lady came to find me with a still warm Christmas pudding on a plate and two half eaten tubs of brandy butter.

Apparently they'd made two for Christmas dinner but couldn't eat them so had brought one round to the shelter. A lovely idea, but totally impractical - what were we to do with it?

The pudding was enough to serve four people, at a push, and at that moment we were serving food to 60. If I'd given pudding to four, the other 56 would have wanted some, and there in lies the problem with donating food - it has to be of a quantity to feed everyone, otherwise its pointless.

Much better to donate vouchers for a supermarket, we can then use them to purchase things we run short of or bingo prizes.

So the pudding was still on the side when I left that evening. Sadly, I expect it will end up in the bin.


No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...