Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mathematics

Mathematics Moderne
Originally uploaded by Calsidyrose.

I know I've said it before, but one of the best things about living in a university town is the opportunity to hear and see things that wouldn't normally be available.

Last night John and I had tickets to see Professor Marcus du Soutoy speak about mathematics - in fact he spoke about the 'art' of mathematics, looking at five artists who he believe were secret lovers of mathematics.

I didn't know all of them, but I did know of Salvador Dali (surrealist painter), Jorge Luis Borges (writer & poet) and architect Le Corbusier - which meant I wasn't completely lost!

This talk was unfortunately the last in a series run by Sheffield University on the theme of Arts-Science Encounters; I'll be looking out for next years events too.

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...