Sunday, March 28, 2010

A little piece of heaven in Leicestershire

 
I have to admit that it's with mixed feelings that I visit Ragdale Hall in Leicestershire. I first came here with Mum when she was ill. We had a lovely couple of days together relaxing and chatting.

Despite a few days here costing more than a cheap two week package holiday in Spain, it's worth EVERY penny, and the relaxation benefits are much more than a holiday (which I often find more tiring as I tear around trying to see everything!).

I've come here for a whole 28 hours on a so called 'Overnight reviver'. On arrival at 2pm you are given a welcome drink and your bags taken up to your room. I went for lunch in the cafe (yummy smoked salmon and scrambled egg on bagel), and started reading my book.

After lunch I checked what treatments are available, and booked myself a 70 minute reflexology session (mmmmmmmm) for tomorrow morning, and went up to my room. As I booked so late, I actually got the last room available, the Tower Room up a small personal spiral staircase. The room is lovely with three single beds, a small shower room and a larger bathroom.

In my room I find my 'timetable' of the next 24 or so; dinner at 6.15pm tonight and then tomorrow as well as my reflexology I have a full body massage in the afternoon. After picking this up I go off to 'The Retreat', a room where everyone has to be completely silent and read or sleep – for a lovely snooze under a blanket!

Then off to the spa pools. There are a number of different pools here, a main swimming pool, and then a succession of room such as an 'aroma room', sauna, underground pool and others. I like the pool that snakes around under waterfalls and with whirlpool sections, that also goes outside (when I was last here it was raining and being outside was lovely!).

It's odd being here alone, and inevitably I've been thinking about Mum a lot, she loved it here. Most of the people here are in couples, there are a lot of Mums and daughters and a fair few of the daughters are pregnant. It it makes me stop to think, even if Mum was still around we'd never have been here on a 'pregnancy' break. I know that Gee and Emma did it, but it was never going to be something I did – I wonder how Mum would have taken that?

They show a film (via the tv in the bedrooms) every night so I'll settle in to watch 'The Time Traveler's Wife', with a mini bottle of wine that I snuck in!

Tomorrow I'm looking forward to more relaxing, my treatments, a lovely healthy salad lunch and more book reading - I have to check out by 6pm, and I'm sure I'll be leaving it until at least 5.59pm!

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...