In a way I'm Paris'd out!! I've visited the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Arc de Triomphe, the Lourve, the Centre Pompidou, Sacre Coeur, Shakespeare & Co Bookshop, Montmartre, Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise, the catacombes, the sewers, Champs Elysees and generally wandered around.
Today I was unsure where to go, so started at the Musee d'Art Moderne to look at the art; no photos allowed in there but there was some great art and photography (in all the museums and galleries I've been in I've been making notes so that I can look things up afterwards).
Then after a nice lunch in a cafe (cold ham and french fries) I crossed the river to visit the sewers of Paris! It was a bit disappointing as they are modern (unlike the the London sewer system which dates back to the 19th C - but not open to the public), but still amusing.
Actually the funniest thing was watching four American tourists! They came in at the same time as me but were completely unsure if they wanted to enter; having paid the entrance fee they descended down behind me. As soon as we got below ground the two women started complaining about the smell and covering their faces with scarves or pinching their noses! At one point they refused to continue; so I told them that the smell would not be so bad if they breathed through their mouths - which they ignored! I didn't see them again as I think they made a dash for the exit!
After a bit more wandering I decided to go back up to Montmatre - the streets up there are really interesting and there are some great shops (not that I'm particularly interested in shops - although I got some great giraffe socks!).
By accident I managed to find Le Mur des Je t'aime (The wall of 'I love you') by Frédéric Baron. It's in the little park behind the amazing entrance to Abbesses Metro station.
Getting tired I wandered around a little and then got the Metro back to the hotel - back in my room by about 6pm. Tonight has been a chance to fiddle with photos (only 828 so far!! and that's after I've deleted the rubbish and out of focus ones!), watch crap news channels, and have a bath.
I've spoken to Gee, Dad, Richard and Colin over the time I've been here - Dad and Richard seem to call every few hours! Colin is sending emails which is much better as it doesn't cost me anything.
Today I was unsure where to go, so started at the Musee d'Art Moderne to look at the art; no photos allowed in there but there was some great art and photography (in all the museums and galleries I've been in I've been making notes so that I can look things up afterwards).
Then after a nice lunch in a cafe (cold ham and french fries) I crossed the river to visit the sewers of Paris! It was a bit disappointing as they are modern (unlike the the London sewer system which dates back to the 19th C - but not open to the public), but still amusing.
After a bit more wandering I decided to go back up to Montmatre - the streets up there are really interesting and there are some great shops (not that I'm particularly interested in shops - although I got some great giraffe socks!).
Getting tired I wandered around a little and then got the Metro back to the hotel - back in my room by about 6pm. Tonight has been a chance to fiddle with photos (only 828 so far!! and that's after I've deleted the rubbish and out of focus ones!), watch crap news channels, and have a bath.
I've spoken to Gee, Dad, Richard and Colin over the time I've been here - Dad and Richard seem to call every few hours! Colin is sending emails which is much better as it doesn't cost me anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment