Sunday, September 30, 2018

Because I can

There are two things that I’ve always believed in; that we should have an “opt-out” system for organ donation (eg. everyone should automatically be a donor unless they actually sign out of the scheme), and that everyone who can give blood should. 

I’ve had a donor card in my purse since I was about eight years old, and I’ve always been very clear about my wishes with my family and whoever was next of kin. 

I’ve also given blood since I was 18, although unfortunately not consistently due to piercings and tattoos.

Recently I gave blood and was surprised to discover it was my 25th donation. Should be so many more. I asked them to test if I was able to donate platelets. 

This weekend my 25 pin and certificate arrived, and separately got a letter to say that I’m eligible to donate platelets - woohoo!  I’ve made my first appointment.  


No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...