I don't believe in God or the bible so it's always seemed rather hypocritical to celebrate a custom from a religion I really don't agree with.
But what I've always wanted was a family to have Christmas with, and to enjoy spending time with.
Since both my parents have been dead for years, and neither I or my brothers have children, Christmas has always seemed like a big let down to me.
Alison and Mike have been amazing friends, and the last couple of Christmas have been wonderful, but something seemed to be missing.
So this year, I was due to spend the festive season with my step-mum, but a week before Christmas I got a text to say that due to her having her new kitchen fitted she was cancelling Christmas (or rather, cancelling having anyone to stay) - so it looked like another let down, and that I'd be alone. Although it didn't fill me with particular dread (especially since I'd be in my own house), the thought of knowing that Nick was just across town with his family would have driven me mad!
But yet again the generosity and welcoming nature of his family have blown me away - the kids said they were happy for me to spend the holidays with them, including Christmas day. Now remember that this is the first year since their Mum passed away, so it's a big deal.
However things got even better, as the the day after boxing day Eleanor's family (parents, sisters, brother and associated children) all came to stay - you'd think that having me around would be really difficult for them - but no, they also welcomed me.
We took Bubba and Lola for a walk as a sort of ice breaker, and then I spent loads of time at Nick's with them all. I immediately felt like part of the family, but I guess a lot of that comes from the fact that I've spent a fair amount of time at Nick's and know my way around the house (it feels like home).
It's been an amazing Christmas, the best I can remember. I've laughed and felt part of a proper family for the first time in many, many years. And how many people can say their Christmas involved pole dancing!! (Nick bought the pole for Alex (his youngest son) and Flossie).
I hope that we've started a new tradition, a couple of days before Christmas we were trying to decide what to have for Christmas lunch dessert, and Flossie was flicking through a baking cookbook. I just said, 'oh I don't know, just cook whatever's on page 54' - which just so happened to be Battenburg cake. And here it is -
Oh, and by far the best present was from Liz, personalised Marmite jars -
HOW COOL ARE THEY!!?
So this year, I was due to spend the festive season with my step-mum, but a week before Christmas I got a text to say that due to her having her new kitchen fitted she was cancelling Christmas (or rather, cancelling having anyone to stay) - so it looked like another let down, and that I'd be alone. Although it didn't fill me with particular dread (especially since I'd be in my own house), the thought of knowing that Nick was just across town with his family would have driven me mad!
But yet again the generosity and welcoming nature of his family have blown me away - the kids said they were happy for me to spend the holidays with them, including Christmas day. Now remember that this is the first year since their Mum passed away, so it's a big deal.
However things got even better, as the the day after boxing day Eleanor's family (parents, sisters, brother and associated children) all came to stay - you'd think that having me around would be really difficult for them - but no, they also welcomed me.
We took Bubba and Lola for a walk as a sort of ice breaker, and then I spent loads of time at Nick's with them all. I immediately felt like part of the family, but I guess a lot of that comes from the fact that I've spent a fair amount of time at Nick's and know my way around the house (it feels like home).
It's been an amazing Christmas, the best I can remember. I've laughed and felt part of a proper family for the first time in many, many years. And how many people can say their Christmas involved pole dancing!! (Nick bought the pole for Alex (his youngest son) and Flossie).
I hope that we've started a new tradition, a couple of days before Christmas we were trying to decide what to have for Christmas lunch dessert, and Flossie was flicking through a baking cookbook. I just said, 'oh I don't know, just cook whatever's on page 54' - which just so happened to be Battenburg cake. And here it is -
Oh, and by far the best present was from Liz, personalised Marmite jars -
HOW COOL ARE THEY!!?


No comments:
Post a Comment