Monday, January 20, 2014

No so blue monday

According to some PR company employed by a travel company, today was supposed to be 'blue Monday' - the most depressing day of the year, and so we should console ourselves and book our summer holiday - what a load of pseudo- science bollocks!

I've had an incredible day!

Starting with Niamh coming round to trim my hair and teach me how to do 40s/50s hairstyles now my hair has got longer - John isn't keen on the look but I want a tidy style for interviews and when I want to dress up.

The photo doesn't do it justice but I was pleased, of course I'm going to have to practise.


Just as she was leaving I got an email from an academic in the department I did my postgrad in.  I'd heard he was looking for a couple of research associates, and so had messages him to say I was interested.

I got his email at 12.30, inviting me for a chat at 1.30!!  Headless chicken mode!  Niamh helped me choose what to wear, black blouse with white birds on, black pencil skirt and bright pink loafers!!

So I met with Alex, and he told me all about the project, I asked lots of questions and we discussed possible issues and challenges - and then he offered me the job!

He said that he'd interviewed 8 people, and I'd been the only one who'd said even close to the right things and that I obviously have the required skills.  He offered me 15 hours a week, but when I told him I was also looking for full time work, he said that he would check with the office and get back to me as he would like to give me full time too!

So I've got a job!!

From there I went on to my little job with a local vicar - yep, you read that right - a vicar!  She's overwhelmed with admin, and had asked a friend of mine to help, but Vicki didn't have the time so passed it on to me - a couple of hours a week if we can make it work.

So today I spent an hour going through her emails with her deleting and dealing with stuff - including forcefully making her say no to things!!

The other fantastic thing that's happened is that Hotrod has been picked for the Team England training squad - 30 of the country's best skaters - from which the team who go to the World Cup in May will be picked!  I'm so pleased for her, she's lovely and totally deserves it.

Oh! And on the bus home the driver tried to chat me up!! That was a nice ego boost!!




No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...