Sunday, December 01, 2013

Things I'll miss & things I won't miss

I’m back home now, and although I want to write something about my trip I’ve been up for over 36 hours and I can barely speak straight right now!! So below are a couple of lists I’ve been writing over the last three weeks - more when I’ve had some sleep!!

Things I won’t miss

The shower
Having to wear footwear everywhere (in room and bathroom) as the floor is so dirty
Listening to people bring up phlegm and spitting it on the floor (inside and outside)
Dodging puddles of phlegm in the street and particularly in the toilets (they squat at the toilet and then spit on the floor in front!)
People not bothering to lock, or even shut toilet doors (it’s bad enough having to hear the noises, I don’t want to see as well)
Lack of tea with milk (condensed milk is wrong)
Having to wash my clothes in the shower
Teenage girls making phone calls at 6am
The loud music in the bar next door
Football on the hostel tv
Sleeping in the top of a bunk bed
Having to remember to carry my own personal loo roll (even restaurant toilets don’t have it - actually most restaurants don’t have a toilet!)
Worrying about food poisoning every time I eat
Seeing the poverty many disabled people live in (and they are only the ones I see)
Dry climate - my skin is really in need of some tlc (and I brought cream!)
Having to eat out for every meal - it’s cheap but sometimes it would be nice to stay in!
Oh, and having somewhere private to sit and read or think - top bunks aren’t comfy for sitting

Things I’ll miss

Spending time with Rob (he’s great, reminds me of all the good things about Dad, we also have far more in common than I’d ever have imagined).
Being so carefree and laid back
Cheap public transport (20p subway, 4p bus)
Walking so far each day (I know I can do that at home but a walk without a purpose it seems wrong)
Cheap interesting food
Avoiding Christmas
Taking amazing photos (although I can do that at home and fully intend to)
Writing the blog
Free wifi in most cafés, bars and restaurants
Seeing interesting and thought provoking things (again something I can do at home!)
Cucumber crisps - I kid you not, they are yummy!!
Learning characters - its easier when you’re surrounded by them
The weather, although it’s cold at least there’s no rain!
Everything else!!

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...