Most people that know me well know that I care deeply for the environment. I recycle, I donate to environmental charities, I've massively reduced my carbon footprint by not having a car, I do as much as I can.
And in the past I've been rather vocal about it too - but you might have noticed that I've gone quiet. It's not that I don't care, I do passionately, but my thinking has changed.
It was a conversation the other night with a friend that made me realise that I've come to a slow dawning that actually it's too late.
We've got to the point where it's unlikely we can reverse the damage we've done, that we are slowly and surely heading towards extinction.
And when I say that I mean extinction of the human race - or at the very least a massive reduction. Which is fine, because the other thing I've realised is that the planet (and most other creatures on it) will survive, that when we've destroyed most of the land and polluted most of the water, and the result of these things mean that the world human population has settled to a level that is sustainable - then the planet WILL recover and continue.
It's doesn't mean I'll stop recycling and doing my bit - but it does mean that I'm not going to worry about others not doing so.
And just to top it all off, I read that the Government curriculum reform just announced has all but removed climate change from being taught in schools! So, those who are likely to be most affected by our stupidity won't even have a working knowledge of why things are happening, or be capable of making informed decisions.
And just to top it all off, I read that the Government curriculum reform just announced has all but removed climate change from being taught in schools! So, those who are likely to be most affected by our stupidity won't even have a working knowledge of why things are happening, or be capable of making informed decisions.
No comments:
Post a Comment