Bank holiday Monday so of course it was pouring with rain, but in between showers I walked down to Endcliffe Park to meet with some of the roller girls and boys for the annual Endcliffe Park Duck Race.
After brunch in the cafe (I love that Sheffield still has old fashion cafes in many of the parks), we 'bought' our ducks - £1 each for our name next to a number, which corresponded with a number written on the bottom of a little plastic yellow duck.
At 2pm thousands of them were launched into the river, and slowly made their way through the park riding the waves!

Many got stuck, needing a little help from someone with wellies and a stick.

Hundreds of spectators cheered them on from the banks and bridges along the way.

Of course none of mine placed in the top twenty (or at least I've not had a call yet to say they have), and by the end of the race the rain had returned.
Miss D very kindly gave me a lift home, and I've returned to my archives essay (and my PC which seems to have a major problem), feeling much better.
It's amazing how hard it is to remain grumpy in the face of a rubber (plastic) duck!
No comments:
Post a Comment