Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Hard coding




I knew that the MSc would be a challenge, I knew that there would be things that were difficult to get to grips with......but I never imagine that something could be quite as hard as I'm finding learn very basic PHP.

We were warned, told that we needed basic HTML (which I have), and that learning a programming language would be a challenge, so the fact that I still went ahead and took the module means that I only have myself to blame.

I just don't understand......although when I read stuff online it does make sense and for that reason I can only think that it's actually the way it's being taught.

The lecturer is a lovely guy, and he obviously knows his stuff - but his style of teaching really doesn't match my style of learning. I need to be told what we will be learning, shown an example (step by step) and then given the opportunity to have a go - with help, and with what we are being asked to do being directly comparable to the examples.

So far we are in week five, I haven't learnt a single thing and I've been in tears or walked out of every practical. I have to be able to write some PHP code in order to pass the assessment, and I don't know if I'm going to manage it.......without getting so stressed. Only 15% of the mark comes from the PHP but at the moment it's taking over my life! I've never attempted anything so difficult before! And I hope I never will again.





No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...