Friday, January 13, 2012

I'm a web designer.....

Do you know how to write HTML? Do you know how to write CSS?  Although a few people I know do, up until a few months ago I knew only enough to put links in this blog and to make text bold or italicised or underlined - my how things have changed.

As part of my course I've done a module called 'Designing Useable Websites', for which the assessment is to design a fully functioning, search engine optimised, accessibile website.  We were given a big block of text, some images and a video and told to get on with it (we did have lectures on the basics).

The choice of what we did with the text was our own, although we couldn't change the content, everything else was up to us.

So, a few weeks later and I have a fully functioning website, we aren't actually launching them on the web, but they have to work as if there were online.

Since I'm old enough to remember the beginnings of the internet, to me my site looks like an early website from the 1990s - but we were only taught the basics, and we had to hand write all the  HTML and CSS, so that meant no copying from other websites and certainly no use of anything such as Dreamweaver!!

This is the front page - I think it's a work of genius and I'm very proud of it. It's taken a lot of swearing and some tears of frustration, my out-of-step son has been a great help when I really got stuck, and Elizabeth Castro's book HTML, XHTML & CSS has been invaluable.




No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...