Saturday, July 30, 2011

backwards


We seem to be going backwards, governments are going back on their promises where the environment is concerned and the general public seem to have forgotten about the planet - I put this partly down to the focus changing to individualism again (blame the Conservatives), and the fears of the economic crisis.

News outlets haven't been reporting much on environmental stuff, or if they have it's been buried by news of shootings, celebrities, phone hacking and job losses.

Today I heard on the BBC radio (6music), and read on The Guardian website that plastic bag use is on the rise again - I'm astounded!

It seems that in the last year usage has gone up by 5% - which is terrible since in 2009 it had gone down by 40%.

Retailers are still resisting charging for them, and the government are not even considering legislation (although they have in Wales).

So, my plea to those I know, please take a bag with you when you go shopping - and if you forget it don't use bags at all!  It's a pain in the arse transferring everything from the trolley to the car boot, but when you get home you can pop in and get the bags - I've had to do this a few times recently.

If you do have plastic bags, reuse them - even take them back to the supermarket, as far as I know all the big four have a place you can put bags for recycling.  If you are feeling crafty there are lots of things you can do with bags.

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...