Monday, March 07, 2011

World Book Night

Package for the MPs & Councillors of Sheffield

Saturday was the first World Book Night.  I'm not sure how I heard about it (probably picked up a leaflet from somewhere), but I applied to take part and was accepted.

The basic idea was that 20,000 'givers' would be given 48 copies of a particular book (there was a list to chose from), to give away on or after March 5th.

I wrote suggesting that if I was given copies of 'Stuart: a life backwards' I would give them to local MPs, councillors and council workers in the hope that they would read it and have more of an understanding of the issues around homelessness.

I won't comment on the organisational cock ups and the nightmare of the official website, but I did at least get my books a few days before the event (a number of people didn't).

As the Town Hall isn't open on a Saturday I decided to parcel up the books and deliver them on Monday morning.  I gave books to all the Lib Dem MPs (there are no Conservative MPs in Sheffield, and Labour aren't in power!), the executive board and various heads of department connected to housing and communities.  I wrote a letter (see below) to go with each one, we'll see if I get any responses.

The remaining books were split between my neighbour, Ian, for his book club; and a handful of the roller girls at practise on Sunday.

Dear

As you may know, Saturday 5th March was the first World Book Night.  1 million books were given to 20,000 'givers' to be distributed to others.

I requested copies of Alexander Masters' book 'Stuart, a life backwards', the story of a chaotic homeless man from Cambridge.

A few years ago after reading this book I got involved in one of the Sheffield homeless charities, and had the privilege to meet some of the homeless people from our city.

The stories these people tell, and the journeys they have been on moved and humbled me; many had attempted to get help, but as single men (most were men), sometimes with drug or alcohol problems and from difficult family situations, they had been let down many times.

The story of Stuart made me realise how life can spiral out of control, how people can find themselves in situations they might never have imagined; but also how with the right help they can turn their lives around.

I wanted to share the book, but share it with people in a position to make changes.  People like you.  That is why when I applied to World Book Night to give away the enclosed book, I pledged to give it to members of Sheffield's Council.

I hope you will accept this book, read, and enjoy it (as I did).  I hope it will help you to consider the homeless and rootless who live in our city, and how you might be able to help them. If you have already read the book, please consider passing this copy on to someone you think might enjoy it.

Kind regards
A World Book Night book giver.

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...