A few months ago Richard asked me to watch and photograph whilst he ran the Tough Guy challenge - a crazy 10km obstacle run with burning hay bales, icy water, electrical wire and other dangerous things to get over, under or through. It was one of the maddest things ever, but looked like fun (sort of!).
The obstacles weren't what would put me off, it was the running of 10km!
So when Richard phoned and asked if I'd do a less challenging version with him I originally said no - but then gave in and signed up.
The British Military Fitness 10km run near Redbridge in Surrey isn't as mad as Tough Guy but is still challenging, especially for people like me who've never done anything like it before, and who have done no training!
I went down the night before and stayed with Richard, travelling to the course early the next morning, to say I was nervous is putting it mildly!! I wasn't worried about the mud pits or the other challenges, I was worried about the distance!
And I was right to be worried, at 2.5km in I thought I was going to die! It really did feel like I'd broken a rib, the stitch was so bad. Luckily Richard kept me moving and I walked through the pain.
The mud pits was so funny, up to my waist in cold muddy water, if there had been more of that and less running I'd have been fine.
Richard was fantastic, he worked so hard to keep me moving, encouraging me and setting small achievable goals - 'just run to the next yellow sign' or just giving general help and encouragement. I finished the course and I wasn't last! I was 14th from last out of about 300 women (because he stayed with me Richard was the last male out of about 1200!!).
I'm very proud of myself and the medal I got, but I am much more proud of my little brother for helping me and staying with me.
I need to get in training now to do some more - yes, I actually want to do it again - despite the fact that I could barely walk on Monday morning!!




No comments:
Post a Comment