![]() |
| Photo from Somethingmonumental on Etsy - look them up! |
Last night at practice we had our first go at scrimmaging - properly skating as if in a bout.
I have to admit to being rather nervous of being hit, and worried about injury (if I get injured I'd be off skates for a while), but in the thick of it that was the least of my worries!
Taking my glasses off was essential, if I break them during practice I can't drive home, but since most of the time I don't need to see long distance its okay (just as soon as we stop I have to put them back on to see what's going on) - I must try again with the contact lenses.
The first time round I took B4 position in the pack, this means being at the back and the first line of defence when the jammer starts to gain on the pack - I really like this position although I need to learn when to stop trying to block her and let the other blockers take over.
On my second go I got to be jammer - WOW! I never thought I wanted to jam, but I was wrong, it totally rocks! I certainly seem to have the speed, and I love the challenge of trying to get through the pack (which I did twice), but I need to work on not skating out of bounds, and concentrating on what is going on around me when I rejoin the track.
I had some falls, but seemed to get up quickly and didn't come away with too many bruises.
Roller Derby ROCKS! I can't wait for next practice.

No comments:
Post a Comment