I can't believe that my stepson, Peter, is 17 today! It might have something to do with the fact that he doesn't look it (being short and slim), or that I've not really watched him grow up (well only for the last three and a half years).
He's old enough to learn to drive now but isn't really bothered - how things change, when I was 17 I was desperate to gain my independence.
Maybe it's that entertainment these days is more 'virtual' with computers and games consoles, still playing with your mates but online instead of out of the house.
But it more likely that Peter isn't as independent as I was at that age, by then I was out drinking at the weekends and staying over with friends more often. Also I lived in a small country town with no trains and only a handful of buses (do you know that I spent the whole of my teenage years there and have never been on a bus in Cirencester!).
His grandma and I think he should learn to drive before going to Uni, even if he doesn't get a car. When he graduates learning to drive won't be a priority, getting a job will, and that will be easier if you can already drive.
No comments:
Post a Comment