Saturday, September 25, 2010

The wrong trousers

abandoned jeans
You might remember last year I volunteered for a local homeless charity over the Christmas period, and this year I'll be doing it again.

I'd very much enjoyed the experience, and had kind of taken charge of the clothing store on the days that I was there. The biggest problem being the amount of inappropriate clothing that people had donated. I'd say for every bag of useful warm winter clothing we were given we also got at least four containing bras, children's clothes, curtains, single high heeled shoes, polyester trousers.......

The small room we had to work in was overflowing with stuff, and myself and the project manager each had to do two car runs with stuff for the supermarket charity collection bins (all of the items were good quality, just not appropriate for our guests).

This year I'm sitting on the committee, and I've formally taken one the responsibility of collecting clothing, sorting it, storing it, and running the store (clothing is given away free to guests, but has to be supervised otherwise they'd take more than they need and sell it on the streets).

Peter and I have designed a leaflet and had it printed, and we are starting to collect clothing. And already I'm astounded at the things I'm getting (even though I've been very clear to people what we need) - thin short sleeved mens shirts, bedding, ladies evening wear, bras suitable for young girls.....

I've begun to think that we are fighting a losing battle. People see us as a dumping place for unwanted clothing, and a way to make themselves feel virtuous at the same time.

How can anyone thing that a bra only fit for a 12 year old is appropriate? Or that a homeless person would have need of an evening dress with sequins?!

It's proving to be an interesting exercise.

If you want to know more about the charity Peter and I have built it a new website, and it now has a Twitter stream too!

If you have any suitable clothing or toiletries to donate (or work for a company who could help in anyway), please comment or email us at harcclothing (at) hotmail.co.uk - thank you.

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...