Monday, September 13, 2010

Metropolis

A few weeks ago John and I became members of the Showroom cinema. I've been a member on and off since I came to Sheffield, it truly is one of the best cinemas ever.

I knew they've changed things recently, but one of the perks of membership used to be that you'd get two free tickets.  But we'd dithered over what to use the ticket for - it had to be something worthy of their use!

This week the perfect opportunity presented itself, the issuing of an extended version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis. 

The film was originally made in 1927 but has had 25 minutes of previously lost footage added - although you can tell which bits have been added due to their very poor quality.

I can't believe that this film is so old yet is so watchable and entertaining.  It's the first silent film I've seen at the cinema, and to be honest I think I've probably spoilt myself!

Believed to be one of Hitler's favourite films, Metropolis is set in a futurist urban dystopia (think 1984 but worse in some ways), and looks at the social crisis between workers and owners in capitalism - many would do well to see this film!

A very worthwhile use of our free tickets.

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...