So, the distraction from the election is over and we have to start considering who we'll be voting for come May 6th. Today the skies were once more full of the noise and pollution of thousands of people being ferried around in giant tin machines.....the volcanic ash from an Icelandic volcano had grounded all flights, but for various reasons (not all totally scientific) air space has now been reopened.
For some it was an amusing distraction - watching people actually getting angry because a volcano had the cheek to start spreading ash across Europe and grounding 1000's of flights.
For other is was a massive inconvenience, costing them time, money and heartache.
I don't like flying, and certainly do not believe that anyone should fly when there are alternative land and sea based options - so therefore ruling out all short haul flights (no matter what the cost, the environmental cost is too high). So I do have to admit to being abit amused by all the hoohah.
But then I guess I wasn't stuck in a foreign country with no money or a place to sleep - and I do have sympathy for those who were.
The whole affair should make us think - do we really need to fly? Can we make a conference call? Can we get the train or boat? Do we need to travel all the way around the whole to go on holiday?
Postscript: My little brother Richard took the photo and sent it to me for my blog, it's great! Apparently it was taken near Gatwick Airport, which makes it even more ironic!!

1 comment:
I'm with you on this one! The clear skies were wonderful for a few days.
However, I don't fly, so i wasn't inconvenienced. Must have been horrible for those left stranded.
Post a Comment