The Yemen
Originally uploaded by MollsMusings
Originally uploaded by MollsMusings
I have a terrible memory for things in my personal past, events, places and people - they all just either disappear or get muddled. This is one of the main reasons I take so many photos and continue to blog, they become my memory for me.
I don't know what year it was, about 1999 I think, but I've actually been to the Yemen. Not a place that many westerners now visit, back then it was just about okay if you stayed within the capital and had guides.
Dad was doing business with the post office and the government (he supplied paper products and items such as queuing systems and bicycles), and we were trying to interest them in a barcode printer and software.
Unfortunately Dad didn't know how to use the software, but fortunately for me - I did! So off we went for a very quick four days in Sana'a.
I remember little about the trip, and amazingly I didn't take a camera. The photo above was taken on Dad's camera from the restaurant in our hotel and scanned - only about 3 photos from the trip came out.
I did go out for a walk on my own, making sure to cover up. I saw no other westerners, but met lots of children who wanted to practice their English.
Everyone we met there was very nice and welcoming. We had a driver for the trip (just a taxi that we hired), and I was treated like 'one of the men', in that I was included in discussions and involved in meetings. These were usually sat in a 'mans' room (I didn't see any women in any of the houses we visited, although I certainly got the impression that they were sneaking a look through the door at me!), sat around on floor cushions chewing qat (I don't recommend it!).
At one place we went I even met one of the Yemeni royal family, a prince I believe. He was very keen to practice his English and we discussed Microsoft Office as he'd just got himself a copy.
On another day the driver took us to a very disgusting looking fish mongers and our host bought an amazing blue fish (I wish I'd taken a photo), we then traveled to a very basic 'restaurant' where we handed over the fish.
After a chat sitting at one of the formica tables, newspapers were laid down, a big vat of rice dumped on the top and then the most amazingly tasty fish (our blue fish now barbequed). No cutlery, just dig in with your fingers and make sure only to use the right hand, and regularly wash in the small basin in the corner of the room.
I don't think Dad got the business, although I'm pretty sure he did do some business with one of the government departments, we never discussed it. But it was an amazing trip, and I'm very grateful to have been able to visit somewhere so fascinating and different.
It's a shame that the world has changed so much and that the Yemen is not a place that is safe to visit, all the people I met were lovely, warm and welcoming, if things change it's definitely on my list of places to return to.
I don't know what year it was, about 1999 I think, but I've actually been to the Yemen. Not a place that many westerners now visit, back then it was just about okay if you stayed within the capital and had guides.
Dad was doing business with the post office and the government (he supplied paper products and items such as queuing systems and bicycles), and we were trying to interest them in a barcode printer and software.
Unfortunately Dad didn't know how to use the software, but fortunately for me - I did! So off we went for a very quick four days in Sana'a.
I remember little about the trip, and amazingly I didn't take a camera. The photo above was taken on Dad's camera from the restaurant in our hotel and scanned - only about 3 photos from the trip came out.
I did go out for a walk on my own, making sure to cover up. I saw no other westerners, but met lots of children who wanted to practice their English.
Everyone we met there was very nice and welcoming. We had a driver for the trip (just a taxi that we hired), and I was treated like 'one of the men', in that I was included in discussions and involved in meetings. These were usually sat in a 'mans' room (I didn't see any women in any of the houses we visited, although I certainly got the impression that they were sneaking a look through the door at me!), sat around on floor cushions chewing qat (I don't recommend it!).
At one place we went I even met one of the Yemeni royal family, a prince I believe. He was very keen to practice his English and we discussed Microsoft Office as he'd just got himself a copy.
On another day the driver took us to a very disgusting looking fish mongers and our host bought an amazing blue fish (I wish I'd taken a photo), we then traveled to a very basic 'restaurant' where we handed over the fish.
After a chat sitting at one of the formica tables, newspapers were laid down, a big vat of rice dumped on the top and then the most amazingly tasty fish (our blue fish now barbequed). No cutlery, just dig in with your fingers and make sure only to use the right hand, and regularly wash in the small basin in the corner of the room.
I don't think Dad got the business, although I'm pretty sure he did do some business with one of the government departments, we never discussed it. But it was an amazing trip, and I'm very grateful to have been able to visit somewhere so fascinating and different.
It's a shame that the world has changed so much and that the Yemen is not a place that is safe to visit, all the people I met were lovely, warm and welcoming, if things change it's definitely on my list of places to return to.

No comments:
Post a Comment