John and I don't go to parties very often, but I'd been looking forward to Alison's 50th for some time!
She'd sent out wonderful invitations in the style of 'Ministry of Information' Entertainment Permits - with little pictures from wartime posters, and details about the event - including the invitation to 'dress up' in 1940s clothes.
I knew that I'd go as a landgirl - although I never anticipated that it would so difficult to find dungerees (thank heavens for vintage shops in Manchester!).....but what could a pursuade John to dress up as?
Uniforms were out of the question as we were unlikely to find any small enough - then I hit upon the perfect outfit - an evacuee!
So, short trousers (he hasn't the knees for shorts!), a lovely tank top (vintage Manchester again), tag and gas mask box!
We had a fantastic time, there are photos on Facebook. Alison and Mike have been having Jive lessons from a couple in Manchester - and they were their to play the music and teach us all to dance.
John and I have four left feet between us - but we still joined in and it was hilarious!
Most people made an effort with outfits, no other landgirls, but there was another evacuee.
Saturday, October 17, 2009
All dressed up
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Coming to America
We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive! We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...
-
I should know better than to expect a university and the local council to actually be competent - but I guess I will continue to go on hopin...
-
It's been a while so I thought it was about time to update the watch on the Royal Wedding Tat, as you'd expect eBay has some lovely ...
-
High Speed Originally uploaded by birdinanaviary . I listened in complete amazement to the Today Programme on Radio 4 this morning. It see...


No comments:
Post a Comment