Believe it or not but this September I'll have lived in Sheffield for 10 years. I came here as a student, after two weeks I said I'd never leave!
One of the reasons I love it is the fact that it's so green, so many parks and woodlands.
So, when I saw this magnet at the Museum I had to have it!
On the back of the card it came on it had the following text -
Sheffield today has around 6000 acres of woodland. In the past, this area would have been larger. There are at least 35 ancient woods still surviving in Sheffield today. An ancient woodland means one that has existed for over 400 years. Examples in Sheffield include Ecclesall Woods, Rollestone Wood, Bowden Housteads Wood, Wincobank Wood and Greno Wood.
Woodland has been an important natural resource for thousands of years. Trees are an important fuel and building material, and in the past would have been chopped down using stone or metal axes.
There are other magnets available - rivers and hills. I might have to get them too!

No comments:
Post a Comment