I love my best friend with all my heart, and her family are truly wonderful. She has the most fantastic loving, caring and selfless husband - beyond anything I could ever have wished for her. But I have a problem - he's found god. I can (and have) forgiven many things, but I am increasingly finding this difficult.
Recent blog entries from him extolling the virtues of prayer (even showing photos of his recent whole body immersion baptism), and how god is watching over him and his family completely freak me out - I can't handle it. What upsets me most is that it is beginning to colour my feelings towards him - I feel pity and sorrow that an intelligent person can be so taken in by the drivel that the Christian church dish out.
If he reads this, (and I think he does) I know that we will feel pity for me, and probably pray for my soul - and I'm happy if that gives him comfort. I can cope with the fact that he's a Christian and that his god helps him (if it makes him happy) - but as has always been the case for me, I can't cope with evangelistic fervor.
I believe that religion is a personal journey, one which is different for each individual, and whatever path is chosen is the right one - there is no 'correct' or 'incorrect' way. And there lies the main problem of most organised religion for me - this belief that many followers have that their religion and their god is the 'true' faith - and that everyone else is going to hell (a concept I don't believe in either since it is a purely Christian concept created to scare people).
Well if I'm going to hell that's my problem, and one I don't give much thought to. But a problem I am giving thought to is how to maintain a close friendship with my best friend and her husband. I think the answer might be to stop reading their blog and just ignore their new found religion (and hope they might lose it again).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Coming to America
We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive! We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...
-
I should know better than to expect a university and the local council to actually be competent - but I guess I will continue to go on hopin...
-
It's been a while so I thought it was about time to update the watch on the Royal Wedding Tat, as you'd expect eBay has some lovely ...
-
High Speed Originally uploaded by birdinanaviary . I listened in complete amazement to the Today Programme on Radio 4 this morning. It see...
No comments:
Post a Comment