Friday, December 01, 2006

Been to the cinema again...


I've been to the cinema again, so I've another film to tell you about - Stranger than Fiction (starring Will Farrell, Emma Thompson and Dustin Hoffman).

The chance to go to The Showroom is something I never miss, and in this case the film I wanted to see was on there (they don't always have mainstream films).

Stranger than Fiction follows Harold Crick, a taxman who leads a boring life until one day when he starts to hear a voice in his head. The voice is actually narrating his life; and not surprisingly Harold thinks he's going mad - until he discovers that he is the main character in a novel and everything that she (the voice) says has happened; which becomes even more distressing when she announces that he is going to die - imminently.

He has to find the author, and try to stop her from killing off her main character.

This film as been compared with Being John Malkovich, but I enjoyed it more as it's not quite as weird (although I loved Being John Malkovich).

Will Farrell is perfect as Harold - and you really start to feel for him as he discovers that he's going to die.

My favourite bit of the film is when Harold falls for a baker, he brings her 'flours' instead of 'flowers' - lovely! Reminds me of Mum's friend Ian who once sent Mum a card with photographs inside of different type of 'flours' - wholemeal, self-raising, plain, etc.

I won't tell you the end - you'll have to go and see it!

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...