Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Stranger.....

A few months before I was born, my dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer, and soon invited him to live with our family.

The stranger was quickly accepted and was around to welcome me into the world a few months later. As I grew up, I never questioned his place in our family. The stranger was our storyteller, he could weave the most fascinating tales, adventures, mysteries and comedies were daily conversations. He could hold our whole family spellbound for hours each evening. He was like a friend to the whole family.

He showed us the world and introduced us to many different people.

The stranger was an incessant talker, but we didn't mind even when it meant that the family talked less to each other and just listened enthralled by one of the strangers stories. My dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but this stranger never felt an obligation to honour them.

Profanity was not allowed in our house, but our long-time visitor swore often. To my knowledge neither of my parents ever confronted the stranger despite the fact that he introduced me and my brother to alcohol, smoking and sex. Yet my parents never asked him to leave.

Today I have my own home and the stranger moved in with me too, he still sits in the corner waiting for someone to listen to his stories and watch him draw his pictures.

His name?

We always just called him.................................TV


I was sent the above some time ago and thought it was really interesting. Although Colin and I do have a television in the living room I've actually only watched one hour since the end of September (a really interesting programme about the history of University Challenge).

If we ever have children I will seriously think before allowing the 'stranger' to influence our children.

No comments:

Coming to America

We’ve made it to America - and boy it’s expensive!  We’ve not even been her 24 hours yet so haven’t done much except have a quick afternoon ...